How to Play Stud Poker
One of the oldest forms of poker in the world is Stud Poker. You and your opponent get five cards and the best hand wins. Australian online casinos have adapted this game into a popular online casino table game known simply at Stud Poker.
Stud Poker is available through iSoftBet and features a fast-paced version of the classic poker game. It is easy to learn and today we will teach you how to play this fun poker table game.
Stud Poker Rules
If you think that Stud Poker looks a lot like Video Poker, you’d be right. The game is very similar but in this game, you don’t get to draw cards. Before playing this game, it is a good idea to have a basic knowledge of poker hand rankings.
As a refresher, these are the hands you can make in this game:
- Royal Flush – A-K-Q-J-10 of all the same suit.
- Straight Flush – Five sequential cards of the same suit. For example, 6-7-8-9-10 of diamonds.
- Four of a Kind – Four cards of the same rank, such as four eights.
- Full House – Hand containing both a pair and three of a king, such as Q-Q-Q-10-10.
- Flush – Five cards of the same suit but not in sequence, such as five clubs.
- Straight – Five cards in sequence but not of the same suit, such as 2-3-4-5-6.
- Three of a Kind – Three cards with the same rank, such as three sixes.
- Two Pair – Two instances of a pair in the same hand, such as a pair of fives and sevens.
- Pair – Two cards of the same rank, such as two jacks.
- High Card – Five cards without any form of coordination and where no cards are of the same rank, such as queen-high.
Prior to playing this game, you will have to place a bet on the Click to Bet block to receive cards. The iSoftBet version of this game will let you bet between $1 and $10 per hand. Once you have place your bet, you will receive five cards and the dealer will get one card.
Here is where you will make a decision. You can choose to play the hand or fold. If you fold, you will lose your initial bet. When you choose to play, you will place a bet on the Hand block twice that of your initial bet. If you bet $1 initially, the Hand bet will be $2
When you choose to play, the dealer will be dealt four cards to complete his hand. Hands will then be evaluated. The dealer must qualify with at least A-K high for all bets to pay off.
When the dealer fails to qualify, your Hand bet is a push and your initial bet is paid at even money. If the dealer qualifies and you win, then you will receive even money on your initial ante and then paid off on your Hand bet based on the following paytable:
- Pair or Under – Even Money
- Two Pair – 2 to 1
- Three of a Kind – 3 to 1
- Straight – 4 to 1
- Flush – 7 to 1
- Full House – 9 to 1
- Four of a Kind – 20 to 1
- Straight Flush – 50 to 1
- Royal Flush – 100 to 1
Stud Poker Strategy
When playing Stud Poker at online casinos in Australia, it is best to play with a strategy. The strategy for this game is pretty simple. If you have a hand of a pair or better, you will bet the hand. You will also bet a hand of Ace-King high provided that the first card in the dealer’s hand is a queen or lower.
The reason behind this strategy is simple, anything under A-K high is an automatic loser when the dealer qualifies. If the dealer does not qualify, you will win on the ante and push your play bet.
Stud Poker is available at Mucho Vegas Casino and all casinos offering iSoftBet table games. It is a fun and fast-pace version of Stud Poker that can be profitable when you play with proper strategy.
Lower Online Betting Tax Introduced in Victoria
The Victorian Government has announced that as of January 1 2019, it will impose an 8% Point of Consumption Tax (POCT) on all wagering and b...