Video poker rules keep Aussie players in control of their game as understanding them is important to becoming a video poker master. There are many variations of this game, which can make it confusing.
It is important for players to acquaint themselves with the combinations and their values. Before we get to the combinations here are a few basic principles of video poker:
- The game is played with a standard 52-card deck
- Each player gets five cards
- The hands used are the standard table poker hands
- Players can hold or give up any or all their cards
- All cards given up will be replaced in single a draw
- If the player’s card matches the qualifying hands, that player wins
Video Poker Combinations – The Basics
- 1 Pair: One set of matching cards
- 2 Pair: Two sets of matching cards
- 3 of a Kind: three cards of the same number
- Straight: Five cards of any combination of the same suits
- Flush: Five cards of the identical suit, not necessarily in sequence
- Full House: Three cards of the same number that match and a pair of another number
- 4 of a Kind: Four cards of the same number, these don’t have to be the same suit
- Straight Flush: Five cards of the same suit in sequence
- Royal Flush: Ten, Ace, Jack, King and Queen of the same suit
Video Poker Rules – Variations
Jacks or Better
Probably the most popular, Jacks or Better has been around the longest out of the many variations, also known as Draw Poker. A player’s bet begins the game of Jacks or Better and this game has a low variance.
Deuces and Jokerf
Deuces and Joker is played with a 53-card deck, a game where a win that pays more than a Royal Flush is possible. For example, players can get four 2’s and a Joker.
Aces and Eights
This variation is quite close to Jacks or Better with three additional wins. Players need to get 4 of a kind aces, sevens or eights.
Tens or Better
Requires great skills, Tens or Better is a less popular Video Poker game. A pair of tens is the lowest paying hand as opposed to Jacks.
Joker Poker needs an extra card in the deck, a Joker. The Joker becomes a substitute for other cards and adds additional pays to the pay table. There are also more variations of this game.
Video Poker Rules – Conclusion
Sticking to the basic Video Poker Rules may bring the Aussie player one step closer to winning big. It is best to play the maximum number of coins required as this may trigger a bonus. Always keep your eyes peeled for offers like a double-up feature as more and more Australian online casinos are offering this option now.
Check out live dealer casino games here.